Internet is one of the greatest inventions made by humans. Internet has made a huge contribution in the development of this century because due to it many things have become easy and possible which were difficult to even imagine. Similarly, e-learning has brought a new revolution in the field of education, due to which governments are promoting e-courses.
Just as millions of people are becoming a part of the internet, the speed of internet and broadband is also increasing. Due to which e-learning is a very affordable and convenient means for people to learn, study and develop their skills. Let us know what is e-learning?
Table of contents
- ई-लर्निंग क्या है?
- E-Learning का इतिहास
- E-Learning के प्रकार
- ई-लर्निंग के फायदे
- E-Learning के नुकसान
What is e-learning?
E-learning is a computer-based educational tool or system that facilitates learning and teaching anywhere at any time through electronic means such as online learning, teaching and learning over the Internet. At present most of the e-learning is delivered to the people through internet.
And it allows sharing of educational materials in many ways. Such as asking questions to teachers through PDF, audio/video, slideshow, live online class, Word document and digital mediums etc.
The word e-learning is made up of ‘E’ and ‘Learning’ which are similar to the names present in internet terminology. Like email, e-commerce, etc. In which E means based on electronic, computer, internet or network. The same learning means learning in Hindi.
If E-Learning is defined on the basis of its name, then studying on electronic medium is E-Learning. This word became popular very rapidly in the last few years. E-learning is a new form of distance education and is also known as online education.
History of E-Learning
The term E-Learning was used during the first Computer Based Training (CBT) system seminar held during the year 1999. By the way, evidence of the theory behind this name is also found in the late 19th century.
During 1999, CBT courses were delivered to people through computer software, web-based training, institutions and educational intranets. Later, this facility also started through CD-ROM. In those days, due to the search for a correct name for it, many names came up like online learning, virtual learning, etc.
Types of E-Learning
Internet based courses are mainly of two types – Synchronous and Asynchronous. Which have different benefits and disadvantages.
What is Synchronous e-learning?
Any such tool or software through which students and teachers can ask and tell questions and answers in real time is called Synchronous e-learning. In the course based on this, students can do synchronous conversations, chat and other important activities with other students and teachers.
Its biggest advantage is that it lets students express their feelings and doubts during the session. Examples of synchronous e-learning are audio/video conferencing, online chat, and live classes.
What is Asynchronous e-learning?
There is complete freedom of time in asynchronous e-learning, that is, in this, students can study anytime as per their wish. Asynchronous online courses are audio and video based. But these are not happening in real time, meaning these are recorded educational materials and uploaded.
Advantages of e-learning
Knowledge and information have been the biggest contributors to the development of human life. The more people are educated, the faster development will happen. But if we look at the field of education, there are many areas that come under it which are quite expensive. Because of which e-learning can bring a new revolution in the field of education. Let us know its advantages:
- E-learning is extremely cheap compared to traditional education. And to get education in it, there is no need of a big building to accommodate a large number of students nor do the learners have to travel in any way for this.
- E-learning contains information to enhance knowledge, skills, learning, study and ability related to all fields and it is also the most effective and simple medium.
- Through this, anything can be taught and read at any time, any place. In e-learning, students and institutions have complete freedom to choose the time and place as per their own.
- Gives freedom to students and learners to study and learn at their own pace. Because some understand slowly and some understand quickly.
- In e-learning, one can learn and study information about personal skills.
Disadvantages of E-Learning
Apart from having many advantages of e-learning, it also has many disadvantages. The number of people joining it is increasing very fast and will increase further in future but the number of people leaving it is also not less. Because its disadvantages are more at present, the list of which you can see below.
- There is no face-to-face interaction and activities as compared to a normal classroom.
- Many times it becomes difficult to measure the credibility of the materials used in these e-learning platforms.
- It may take some time to learn and understand the online learning system.
- In case of server problem and slow internet, the experience of e-learning can be spoiled.
- In times of need, students cannot perform the necessary activities in real time.
- Students may feel lonely as they cannot socialize with each other.
- There is lack of rules and discipline in e-learning, that is, it completely depends on the student. Because of which they may sometimes get frustrated and leave the learning process midway.